Thursday, May 16, 2013

Please Don't Pick the Flowers

Earlier today some woman on a walk up my street, y'know, just enjoying the beautiful day we were having, and at first I don't really notice her. I don't typically make a habit of spying on the people jogging down my street. That's uh, that's creepy. Anyways, she stops at my neighbor's house and starts making all these weird gestures with her arms. It looked like she was doing yoga. Then she just ups and marches away, continuing her walk up the street.

Beautiful blue-eyed grass
photographed by Maranda Lee Scott.
Well, yoga in the middle of the street is weird, but whatever. I go back to my day of pretending I'm a very important writer (even though I'm hardly a writer at all), but no more than twenty minutes later that lady returns and starts poking around my neighbor's yard again. Now, between this woman and my neighbor's house is a very big lilac bush which they grew to keep the yard a little more private. And I'm watching as this strange woman fiddles about, kind of like she's taking pictures of the flowers. Then she walks away, a pile of purple petals gently cradled in her arms.

What. The. Fuck.

I realized the woman was probably a tourist--they show up every summer to make a mess of the town and demand all kinds of changes that disrupt the ways all of us year-round people go about living our lives--basically right about when I noticed her actually touching my neighbor's flowers. Typically, the local people older than fourteen know better than to mess with other people's property, and they know that the plants on that property are not public plants.

This got me thinking about how inconsiderate people are of outside property. There's a pair of ladies who regularly walk their dogs up near my house, and if they think nobody's at home they'll just tromp right through my backyard to get to the other side. Runners routinely use my yard as a rest stop and checkpoint since I'm right at the top of the mountain, and I don't have too much issue with it... except that they sprawl out on my lawn and leave their empty bottles all over the place. Some of them even decide that they can go ahead and whizz in the trees just off the road. Every Fourth of July my yard and the yards of all my neighbors are infested with literally dozens of people we've never seen before who set up picnics and leave garbage all over the place. Some of them even have the gall to drive their cars over the grass and park in the middle of the yard.

What the fuck is wrong with people? Just because the yard isn't in somebody's house it's suddenly public property? That's not how it works, buddy.

People need to learn not to touch what isn't theirs. Not their yard, not their flowers. Grown adults should not have to be taught this, but apparently they do. For anybody who's confused about how to interact with your environment, let me just make it all very clear:

If it's not yours, don't touch it.