Friday, March 22, 2013

Fantasy Smash Bros.: Ice Flower

That's right! Fantasy Smash Bros. is back! I just can't help myself. It's like I live, breathe, and eat Super Smash Bros. Maybe that's why I suffer from some ghastly malnutrition. I'm not sure how many of these posts I'll be making. In the past they got very long and tiring, which is why I made so few of them. I do know that pretty much every second of every day gives me a brand new idea which could be added to the series, and I don't have the know-how to make a fan game! How better to exercise these ideas than to post them on the internet and allow myself the deluded fantasy of Sakurai knocking on my door and begging for my assistance?

Actually, there's probably a lot of healthier methods... Oh well. Grandeur away!

Today instead of a character or stage, which I think were the only things I had done in the past, I've got an item. Short and sweet descriptions on this one, which is just what I need to drag me out of the gloom for a bit without wearing myself down. (I don't know if I'll get to explaining this, but today has been a real downer for me without any particular reasons. Just one of those days where you wake up and the day already sucks and you're just in a crap mood.)

The Ice Flower first showed up in Super Mario Galaxy, and was probably one of the selling points of the game. Being a sort of Bizarro Fire Flower, the item instantly got fans riled up. Not to mention that it had been a staple of Super Mario fan games for years before its official debut. The Ice Flower truly is an antithesis to the Fire Flower, allowing Mario to freeze enemies in their tracks as opposed to frying them. Ever since its arrival on the scene, the Ice Flower has become a mainstay of the franchise. It returned in New! Super Mario Bros. Wii with the useful ability of freezing enemies into solid blocks which could be used as both platforms and weapons. While it doesn't quite have the range of the Fire Flower, the Ice Flower has proven itself as a unique and useful addition to the Marios' arsenal.


Like its firey cousin, the Ice Flower wouldn't perform exactly as it should in the Super Smash Bros. universe. Instead of transforming its user into an iceball pitching machine the Ice Flower, continuing to prove itself an opposing force to the Fire Flower, emits a powerful myst which freezes enemies on contact. The best way to go about describing would be to say that while the Fire Flower is comparable to Bowser and Charizard's fire breathing attacks, the Ice Flower would be comparable to the Ice Climbers' "Blizzard" attack. Although the Ice Climbers' attack is similar, the Ice Flower has a greater chance of leaving its target encased in ice.


That's it for the Ice Flower. To be honest, I think this item actually has a legitimate chance of showing up for the next Super Smash Bros. title. Since it's been a long time since my previous Fantasy Smash Bros. entry, you can follow the link here to get to the old hub page I used to use for the project. I don't think I'll be using it anymore, but it should be up to date as far as my previous post of this nature.

If there's one thing I love as much as playing Super Smash Bros. and talking about my own ideas, it's reading your ideas. What do you think of the Ice Flower concept? Do you have any item ideas of your own? If you do, post in the comments below. And if anyone out there has figured out a way to utilize the Super Flower from Super Mario Land as an item in any relevant capacity, I'd love to read about it.