Saturday, June 15, 2013

5 Pokémon Who Should Join the Brawl!

Speculation is running rampant now that Nintendo's shown off some actual game play of the latest additions to the Super Smash Bros. franchise--Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (actual titles)--and of course, I'm going to add to this chaos like the jolly little Smashter that I am. I've been looking into a whole bunch of things ever since the reveal of Mega Man as a playable character, and I've got a whole ton of ideas for who to play as and how to play as them! This won't be as in-depth as my Fantasy Smash Bros. posts, but I might eventually FSB some of these characters. Who knows?

I thought I'd start off with my top five wanted Pokémon. I should make a quick mention that this list is only for characters who haven't previously been in any Smash games, so Mewtwo and Pichu aren't going to be mentioned (though I really do want them to return). I've also left off Ditto (whom lifetime followers will know I am a fan of) for a couple of reasons: first: because I consider him as already having been a Smasher. Second: because I feel there are more suitable alternatives to a random character.

Without further interruption, let's take a look at which five Pocket Monsters should be ripping it up in a whole new stadium!

5. Marill


I've talked about how Marill could work with Super Smash Bros. in some detail before, and I stand by that reasoning. Marill was one of the first Pokémon to be shown for the series' second generation of games, and he garnered quite the following when fans thought he was some kind of long-lost Pikachu relative known as "Bluchu" or "Bluachu". He was also featured (along with Snubbull) in Pikachu's Vacation, the short film accompanying the first ever Pokémon movie, and was later featured as the primary companion of Tracey Sketchit, a primary character of the "Orange Islands" story arc for the anime. This makes him significant not just because he was on the same level as Pikachu and Togepi for a while, but because he was the primary Pokémon of the first companion-swap Ash would endure. This kind of makes him the leader in what would become routine for the program.


4. Gardevoir


To be honest, Gardevoir is a little beyond my time when it comes to Pokémon. While I did have Sapphire at one time, I only ever played it up through the first gym before losing it (probably when a friend "borrowed" it, as is so common among friends and games). It may have also disappeared with the majority of my early GBA games (Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Rayman Advance, Spyro: Season of Ice, Nicktoons Racing, and my original copy of Wario Land 4 all managed to vanish at some point). Regardless, I like her design and elegant demeanor, and she seems to be more than a reasonably popular character. I don't know much about her appearances in the anime, but I'm sure she has at least a vaguely significant role at some point. She appeared in Brawl as a replacement for the Rosalina Assist Trophy (for some reason), and definitely stood out from the pack. I think it would be pretty refreshing to play as such a graceful character, although it seems that position may have already been filled by the Wii Fit Trainer. Still, I know I'm not the only one who would pretty happy to see this Fairy princess join the ranks of the Smash Squad.


3. Deoxys


Deoxys really should have been playable in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but he was beaten out by the more modern Lucario. He's of the "Mewtwo" breed of legendary Pokémon, being relatively human in proportion and body structure and having a theme on genetic structure. Coupled with a bad attitude, Deoxys has remained somewhat popular, but never quite achieved the acclaim of most of his contemporaries. That's a shame, because he's actually a really cool guy. He can assume four different modes which could be applied in various ways for a Smash battle (taking on his Defensive Mode when shielding?) and really would look simply splendid dashing around in his Speed Mode. I really don't expect him to make the cut, but if he doesn't show up in playable capacity, it would be cool to at least see Genesect (who would place on this list if it were six items long).


2. Togepi



Togepi was Misty's answer to Pikachu, replacing Psyduck as her primary Pokémon. She was also the first Generation II Pokémon to appear on the show, arriving originally as a mysterious egg cared for by Ash and co.. Togepi possesses powerful and unusual abilities, which makes her surprisingly adept when she needs to be. Additionally, she has a Kirby/Jigglypuff quality to her character design, and the thought of her hopping across the stage is just something which is really appealing to me.


1. Meowth



This has been a long time coming, and it's time for it to finally arrive. Meowth is Pikachu's eternal rival, and the first talking Pokémon ever seen in the series. It was originally intended to join Pikachu and Jigglypuff in the original Super Smash Bros. (along with Mewtwo) for the N64, but never made it to development, which is a crying shame. He's starred in nearly as many episodes of the anime as Pikachu and Ash have, and he's the only Pokémon to be a constant prescence for the entirety of the program (aside from, of course, his electric antagonist). Not only is he important to the show, but Meowth got his own tech demo for the Nintendo GameCube titled "Meowth's Party" in which this phenomenal feline showed off just how hard he could jam, his guitar riffs putting even Diddy to shame.

It's definitely about time for Meowth to get a little spotlight. Plus, he'd give an additional boost to the ranks of Nintendo's villains, something which needs a little bolstering in the Smashiverse. Would I cut characters to make room for this beloved pet? Well, I don't know. Guess I'll have to flip a coin.